Apples & Pears is a…
- grant provider: we raise funds and inject them into schools, nurseries, women’s refuges, community spaces and other grassroots projects working with children under 12.
- collaborative project: we work with each of our project partners to design bespoke versions of our group trips programme, ensuring empathy is at the heart of everything we do.
- community: we are a volunteer led project supported by businesses large and small and made up of community groups, schools, families and of course, the children we work with!
- start: our trips are a chance for people to meet, learn, explore and have fun together.
Our Trips Programme
volunteers on standby
At Apples & Pears, we think group trips make fantastic forums for communities to spend time, learn, explore (and have fun!) together.
Whether its primary schools or nurseries looking to craft fun, accessible opportunities for parents to engage with their children’s education, theatres working to open up their doors to all or refuges creating safe environments for women and children to explore new areas and services – we work with our partners to shape the trips into meaningful projects built around the needs of their communities.
Once funded, our partners run Apples & Pears trips across London on most weekends. An average of 15 families, two project partner staff members and two of our volunteers take part each time.
Our trips have included visits to famous London landmarks, hidden gems and green spaces.
We have over 400 volunteers (and growing!) on standby to support the trips. Our volunteers are generally young Londoners, aged 18–40. They help teaching staff with practical things on the trip, such as crowd control, and also help engage participants in trip activities.
We Aim To:
- Create forums where families, volunteers and project staff can spend time, try new things and explore London together.
- Build programmes with communities to help them discover commonalities and confront issues relevant to them.
- Include communities by doing what we can to make everything London has to offer as accessible as possible.
- Enhance education for children by offering unique learning opportunities in new cultural environments.
- Inspire children by helping them find new interests and passions!