About Our Trips Programme
Apples & Pears gives children under 12 and their families the opportunity to discover inspiring educational, social and cultural activities through awarding grants to organisations who can run or host our group trips programme.
Along with making cash grants to fund the trips, we support our project partners by providing volunteers to help co-ordinate activities and go along too!
Because they involve volunteers from all walks of life and professions, these activities also help improve social cohesion between different ethnic, religious and economic groups by encouraging interaction with people children would not otherwise have met (but often live very close to).
How does it work?
This is where you come in!
- We generally require 2-4 volunteers for each trip running on a Saturday morning (usually 9.30am – 12.30pm). This can be done regularly, on a one-off basis or sporadically. Whatever works best for you!
- Volunteers are asked to help the teaching staff on the trip with practical things (e.g. crowd control) and also by engaging participants (e.g. speaking to the children about a museum display or merely chatting informally about themselves).
- Parents and teachers are present on trips but for best practice we ask all of our trip volunteers to go through Enhanced DBS checks for us. We help administer these and they cost £10 per person (one-off cost).
- Volunteers usually meet with school/charity staff (who run the trip) and the families at a school or agreed meeting place.
- Generously giving up your time makes these trips possible and has a hugely positive impact on the lives of the children and families at the schools and charities we support.
If you would like to volunteer on a trip, please fill out our registration form so we can find out a ltttle bit more about you